I’ve finally come up with the perfect taco seasoning recipe to use with my Gradual Make Ahead Method™! This method allows you to make your weekday meals as usual, preparing part of the meal (usually the meat) in large enough quantity for an additional 3-5 dinners!
I have found this to be a great time saving alternative to once-a-month cooking, which usually requires long days in the kitchen to do all your cooking at once. This way, I am able to stay ahead on some of my cooking without giving up an entire weekend.
With a stash of taco meat in the freezer, I am able to make an easy meal of tacos, nachos, taco salad, taco pizza, burritos or enchiladas with little effort. It even goes nicely from the freezer to the crockpot!
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon Beef Bullion Granules
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Mix together and store in airtight container until ready to use (up to one year).
- To cook, add 1 lb ground beef and 1/3 cup water per 2 tablespoons taco seasoning. Simmer uncovered on low for 5-10 minutes.
Gradual Make Ahead Method:
- To freeze taco meat, allow to cool completely. Then add meal size portions to freezer bag or container. Label and date.
- When ready to serve, remove from freezer and cook in covered skillet on low until heated through.
- Alternately, you can add 2 tablespoons water to frozen contents and cook on low in a slow cooker for 4-6 hours or until heated through.
Scroll through HERE (past this post) for more Gradual Make-Ahead ideas!