Here are some ideas to fill your calendar with frugal staycation activities this summer. Check them out!
- Your local library reading club. Information should now be available regarding dates and activities at your nearest branch.
- Contact your local Parks & Recreation department, Community Center, Visitors Center or the local newspaper website for a list of free activities. Don’t forget to check with any nature centers, sports centers, lakes or community parks.
- Check out the programs available from local churches. Even if you’re not a regular attender, you can still take advantage of craft camps, sports camps or Vacation Bible Schools they offer. Usually these are free or very affordable.
- Free factory tours in your area.
- Free crafts for kids every Saturday at Lakeshore Learning.
- Kids workshops available some Saturdays at Lowes or Home Depot.
- Free fishing weekends. Google “free fishing weekends” and the name of your state to find dates in your area.
- Chuck E. Cheese rewards good behavior with free tokens.
- Check Groupon and Living Social every day for discounts on restaurants, theme parks and local attractions.
Note: Some of these links are not updated for Summer 2013 yet. Keep checking back!
- Barnes & Noble – Read any 8 books and submit the reading journal to get a free book.
- Pottery Barn – complete the reading list and get a free book.
- Scholastic Summer Reading Program – log reading time to earn digital rewards.
- Sylvan – earn prizes for reading success.
- Free Campgrounds – find out where you can camp for free (or cheap!).
- Harvest Hosts – farmers and wineries offer RVers free overnight stays.
- Apple Camp – kids 8-12 can take a class at Apple Retail Stores.
- Cinemark – 10 shows for $5 when tickets are purchased in advance. (2014 links not active yet)
- Regal Cinemas – $1 movies at 10am.
- Bank of America – free museum admission on select weekends.
- Find a U-Pick farm in your area.
- Visit a national park with free or cheap admission.
- Bowl for free at Bowling Alleys across the country.
- AMF Bowling Club gives you $20 off your next visit.
- Brunswick Bowling Alleys give kids free bowling every day June-August.
- Fun Stuff for Kids from Kids.gov.
Scroll through my Summer Staycation series to find more easy and cheap activity ideas. This series will be returning on June 3th with one new activity per day, all summer long!