As I mentioned in my meal planning post, this week is Baking Week at my house! Since I have a big family with big appetites, baking week is my shortcut to keeping the homebaked goodies available for kids lunches, and for snacks. I have a stash of well-loved cookie recipes that work perfectly for freezing. One week every month, I whip them up, double, triple or quadruple the recipe and freeze the rest.
Peanut Butter Heath Bars are a big hit.
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 1¼ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 medium egg
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz. toffee bits
- Beat peanut butter, shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in a bowl until blended.
- Mix in egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually mix flour mixture into wet mixture.
- Stir in toffee bits.
- Bake at 375F for 7-8 minutes.
- FREEZING COOKIE DOUGH: Make cookie-size balls using a small ice cream scoop. Flash freeze. Transfer to freezer bag and store in freezer for up to 3 months. To bake, thaw in refrigerator, then follow directions above.