Here’s another recipe from our cherry-themed party last week. For a main dish, I scooped up a box of Northwest Cherries and boneless skinless chicken thighs from Sam’s Club along with a few items from my garden. It was a wonderful blend of flavors: not too sweet, not too spicy.
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1½ c. fresh pitted cherries
- 2 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ c. honey
- In a skillet, melt butter and add onion, bell pepper and jalapenos.
- Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, chicken, cherries, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, cayenne pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in honey and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to cook uncovered until sauce thickens. If you like, you can add a mixture of cornstarch and water to aid in the thickening.
- Serve immediately. Fabulous with rice.
Interested in carrying the cherry theme over into the beverage department? I made a simple cherry punch using one part cherry juice to one part 7up. Add a few fresh pitted cherries for a unique refreshing treat.
You can head over HERE to read about my cherry party and enter for a chance to win some great prizes, courtesy of Sam’s Club.
Come back tomorrow when I share my recipe for homemade Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream.
Posted in: recipes