Here are some ideas to fill your calendar with frugal staycation activities this summer. Check them out, then add your faves to the free printable monthly calendars available from Organized Home.
- Your local library reading club. Information should now be available regarding dates and activities at your nearest branch.
- Contact your local Parks & Recreation department, Community Center, Visitors Center or the local newspaper website for a list of free activities. Don’t forget to check with any nature centers, sports centers, lakes or community parks.
- Check out the programs available from local churches. Even if you’re not a regular attender, you can still take advantage of craft camps, sports camps or Vacation Bible Schools they offer. Usually these are free or very affordable.
- Free factory tours in your area.
- Free crafts for kids every Saturday at Lakeshore Learning.
- Kids workshops available some Saturdays at Lowes or Home Depot.
- Free fishing weekends. Google “free fishing weekends” and the name of your state to find dates in your area.
Note: Some of these links are not updated for Summer 2013 yet. Keep checking back!
- American Girl – online reading club and in-store reading events.
- Barnes & Noble – Read any 8 books and submit the reading journal to get a free book.
- Half Price Books – read 300 minutes and get a $5 store voucher good on any purchase.
- Pottery Barn – complete the reading list and get a free book.
- Scholastic Summer Reading Program – log reading time to earn cool prizes.
- Sylvan – earn prizes for reading success.
- TD Banks – read 10 books get $10!
- Chuck E Cheese – read 10 books, get 10 tokens.
- Free Campgrounds – find out where you can camp for free (or cheap!).
- Harvest Hosts – farmers and wineries offer RVers free overnight stays.
- Apple Camp – kids 8-12 can take a class at Apple Retail Stores.
- Cinemark – 10 shows for $5 when tickets are purchased in advance.
- Find a U-Pick farm in your area.
- Visit a national park with free or cheap admission (all parks are free on 6/9/12).
- Bowl for free at Bowling Alleys across the country.
- AMF Bowling Club gives you $20 off your next visit or free bowling for kids all summer.
- Brunswick Bowling Alleys give kids free bowling every day June-August.
- Fun Stuff for Kids from Kids.gov.
Head over HERE for ideas to save money on dining out this summer. Or scroll through my Summer Staycation series to find easy and cheap activity ideas. This series will be returning on June 4th with one new activity per day, all summer long!
Posted in: summer