Here’s a great spin on an old favorite. It’s deep dish pizza, made the Chicago way – sort of! Yes, the ingredients are out of their typical order, but with this one, the cheese is on the bottom, then a mixture of sausage, ground beef and pizza sauce. On top, you have a crust with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. This one is hubby approved – big time!
You’ll be needing 15 oz. of your favorite pizza sauce. Store bought is okay. But I have the best homemade pizza sauce recipe in the world, and I think it makes all the difference. It’s easy to make and even freezes well! Head over HERE and scroll down to the middle of the post to find it.
Now onto the recipe:
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- ½ lb. ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 15 oz. pizza sauce
- 8 oz. shredded mozzerella cheese
- ½ c. parmesan cheese
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef, sausage, and onion. Drain.
- Combine meat mixture with pizza sauce.
- Grease a 13x9" pan. Sprinkle mozzerella cheese in the bottom.
- Spread meat mixture evenly over cheese.
- In a bowl, combine milk, flour, eggs and oil. Pour over meat mixture
- Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
Adapted from Southern Plate